Want your children to put down the remote and pick up books? Here are some ideas:
- Create a special place just for reading. Pile pillows on the floor in the corner, provide good lighting and a pile of books.
- Let children stay up 15 minutes past bedtime if they spend that extra time reading or looking at books. Turn off the lights and provide a flashlight to make it extra fun.
- Talk to your child about a favorite book from your own childhood, then check that book out from the library. Odds are your endorsement will make the book more appealing.
- Download eBooks (or check them out from your library). Research shows that children prefer to read eBooks over printed ones.
- Store books where they are easy to find and reach. If possible, turn some books so their front covers are visible tempting children to read them.
Make books and reading a daily habit for children and you’ll set them on the road to becoming lifelong learners.