Halloween is full of teachable moments that can be fun for new readers. Here are a few things you might say to reinforce reading skills this time of year:
- “So you want to be a ghost for Halloween. What sound do you hear at the beginning of the word “ghost”?
- “Can you think of any candy that starts with the Sssss sound?”
- “What candy name rhymes with ‘flickers’?”
- “Look at all your Halloween candy! You can eat one piece right now if you can find a candy bar wrapper with the letter “H” on it.”
- “Let’s see if we can find any books about Halloween at the library.”
With just a little bit of thought, tricky parents can make learning to read a treat this Halloween and all year long!